Monday, October 23, 2006

Keeping up the pace

Very much in character, I only did two of the things mentioned at the end of yesterday's post. Namely, shaving:


(I made callbacks for the role of Gordon in the upcoming
Half-Life movie.)


- and reading A Raisin in the Sun. So far, it's the only play I've really liked which came out of my script analyzing class reading list, which so far has included Angels in America, Tartuffe, Doubt, The Piano Lesson, and Spoon River Anthology. Apparently you can read Spoon River in full over at Project Gutenburg, a site containing an enormous amount of public domain books, but I would advise against it. Unless you are interested in reading 243 short poems about how depressing life can be. Anyway, I thought Raisin in the Sun was a great read, and commendable for its realism and natural use of language. I've read other stories that dealt with black culture and identity, but so far this is the only one that has actually made me feel like I can understand the issue. And that's saying something coming from someone who is in no way black and cannot fathom hip-hop.



I've been rehearsing my directing skills for a scene from a play called Fat Pig as well. This play is also quite realistic in its portrayal of human emotion, and thus I'm against a slight challenge in presenting what one could consider a 'normal' scene. So far the most ridiculous effect my staging involves is a character shooting a basketball, so I think I've managed fairly well. (On a side note, expect italics in my writing. They are excellent for representing sarcasm. I was of course influenced on this subject by one Jerry Holkins.) Next up will be a stage adaptation of Unforgettable, an original short play by the inimitable writing team of the Brothers Malm. You might not know who I'm referring to, but the web-savvy reader will likely be able to locate them using various avenues. (A hint: I'm probably friends with them, and they're probably social networkers.)


No comments: