Sunday, July 30, 2006

The Daily Grind

I've got to get a better sleep schedule going. Waking up just in time to make it to work at 4:00PM just isn't cutting it anymore. Once I arrived, however, two things of note happened.

First, we had a power surge that knocked out all of the store that wasn't connected to emergency backup power. This lead to the rather surreal situation of me having to explain to people that, "No, you can't get gas right now," despite that being the store's almost sole purpose.

Second, one of the guys who brings the daily newspapers is apparently working on becoming a stand-up comedian. Unfortunately, I don't see him progressing very far with his current tact, which consisted of him suddenly saying to no one in particular (quoted almost verbatim):

"So I've realized that in my stand-up act when I make jokes about different races, I completely left out the Native Americans. So here's what I've got - You know you're not allowed to make any jokes anymore about the Native Americans. You know, you can't go 'Whoop whoop whoop whoop' at Seminoles games. You can't do this (raises fist) for the Redskins. And now they're telling me that you can't shout 'Geronimo!', you know when you're falling out of a plane. These people who jump out of planes can't shout 'Geronimo!' anymore, they tell 'em that's bad. But, you know, I've got an American Indian friend named Tanto who, he drinks all the time, and he's just very bitter. And I tell him, "Hey man, that was your war to win," you know?"

Upon finishing, I was unsure of what exactly I had just heard. I searched for a joke, but could only find some sort of bizarre, Seinfeld-esque "So what's up with that airline food?" comment on...something. When he noticed that I was just standing there looking at him, he informed me that he usually bounces stuff off of the other guy who works at my gas station, and that he's usually got a small crowd waiting for him at the gas station down the way. I told him that I got it, and that it just wasn't my brand of humor, hoping to defuse the awkward moment. He made sure to point out that he also does political and religious jokes. I can't wait.



When my friend Alex read yesterday's post about The Science of Sleep, he revealed to me that Michel Gondry seems to have a thing for giant hands in dreams, as evidenced by this music video that he directed:



He also steered me towards a few other videos he's done, including the Chemical Brothers' "Star Guitar", an absolutely mesmerizing piece of art, and Daft Punk's "Around the World". These videos just make Gondry that much cooler in my perspective.

No comments: